Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tarot Traditions




The Tarot Blog Hop, which posts a subject each High Day for participants to write about is focusing on traditions in Tarot.  The question is, "What traditions are important to you in how you read Tarot?"

At first, I wasn't sure how to answer - I don't have a lot of strong traditions that I think about that much, but I suppose there are a few habits I have:

I shuffle at least seven times, cut the deck into thirds, then shuffle again until if feels right, cut into thirds again and read.  Why?  I don't know - Tradition! (shouted in a triumphant Tevye voice)

I read reversals if  the back of the card is designed in a way that doesn't let me see that it's reversed.  If the design has a clear upright position, I do not use reversals for that deck.

When I do use reversals, I tend to either treat them as 'don't' or 'not' whatever the card is about, or as an indicator that the card's meaning pertains more to internal attitudes or reactions than to external actions or events.

I handle the negative aspects of  the cards in context to the reading and through intuition, rather than treating a reversal as a negative.

I do not think any card is strictly positive or strictly negative.

I believe it is impossible for me to own too many decks. (hah - we went to a friend's house for dinner this weekend, and I somehow left with $60 worth of decks I had no idea she was trying to sell)

I like working with spreads - a well conceived spread is like a musical composition, and they delight me.  But most of the time, when I read, it is simply a conversation, where I will ask my first question, lay a card or two, which will lead to my next question, a couple more cards, and so on until I feel the discussion is finished.

And that leads to what I am seeing as a budding tradition for me.  Because it begs the question of just who am I speaking with?  And I've always been fine with answering that either by regarding the cards as a window into my own subconscious - the place without words that is able to express itself using symbols as a bridge to my conscious self.  And often, I do think that's exactly what's happening, and that is a good and useful thing when reading for myself.

But when I'm reading for others, there is often a strong sense that what I am seeing is not coming from me - and I don't identify as psychic, so I haven't known what that is all about exactly.  Many readers have answered that question for themselves, but I haven't.

Except that in working within ADF Druidry, I am learning about the role of Seer in ritual, and at least then - when we are approaching the Kindred - be they Shining Ones (gods and goddesses), or Ancestors, or Nature Spirits, we take Omens through any of a number of divinatory methods, and Tarot can be one of them.

When I read as a part of a ritual at home - and I do each Friday, and am going to start doing so every day, specifically to address the Kindred - there is an entirely different feel to my readings from those I do that are self-conversation, or reading for someone else without trying to figure out how or why it works.

They are both very clear, and also often very foreign to the way I'd think about something otherwise.  And it truly has a much more sense of sacred communication for me.  I am hoping that when I complete my Dedicant's work (and that is a long way off), I will be able to work deeper with ADF's Seer training program - this has opened up something really deep within me and put my old love (Tarot) into a new-to-me context, and I am awed and excited by that.  I have so much yet to learn.




11 comments:

  1. I love what you said about spreads being musical composition. Fabulous way of putting that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It doesn't matter how you categorize where the message comes from; the fact that you get it is the great part! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's never been anything I worried much about but it's lovely to know that it can also be a tool to speak with specific beings as well!

      Delete
  3. Love your part on having a conversation with the cards. I've actually done this type of reading a couple of times. But, to be honest, I can sit down with a pen and paper and have a conversation with my sub-conscious and usually figure out whatever issue I'm facing, without the Tarot (which I've also done a few times in the past).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perhaps the most beautiful phrase I have read throughout this bloghop "put my old love (Tarot) into a new-to-me context,.."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating musings altogether, and interesting meeting of traditions between Druid and Tarot. And the thought of reversals as unconscious or hidden instead of just "not" is something I will take home with me, along with the informal conversation method with the cards. I almost get there with my daily draws, but it's not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel just the same about spreads - beautifully expressed, Lynda! Will look forward to reading more about your evolving traditions in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spreads are like that for me too! Start with one question, see what the resulting card is and base the next question in the spread on the developing conversation. Really nice post, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I've always used spreads, but the "discussion" idea is interesting too. I'm also considering the Seer training after the DP, although I will probably start with the GSP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still debating GSP or IP. Or both. All. ADF Rhodes Scholar, that could be a thing, right?? lol

      Delete
  9. "..what I see is not coming from me..." HUGE part of my practice, and something I do try to remember...thanks for once again reminding me...

    ReplyDelete