Monday, October 10, 2011

In the Presence of the Arch Druid (ooooo)

This weekend we hosted John Michael Greer in our home. I had arranged for him to give a presentation at my UU church, and a local metaphysical book store had piggybacked a book signing event onto it. So we picked him up at the Amtrak station on Saturday, had a full day of events, then a late dinner and conversation at home before retiring, then more talk and a visit to the George Washington Masonic Memorial before I took him back to catch the train home.

John Michael is the Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America, which represents a very different kind of Druidry than ADF. He's also a consummate polymath, the author of books on the occult, on Druidry, on energy and economics, and on a variety of paranormal topics such as Atlantis and UFOs. His latest is Apocalypse Not: Everything You Know About 2012, Nostradamus and the Rapture Is Wrong
, which takes a lighthearted look at failed end-of-the-world predictions.

We found him to be warm, friendly and -- as his writing suggests -- fiercely intelligent and opinionated. He was once a member of ADF, but left a year or two after he took over the leadership of AODA, largely because he lacked the time to do right by both organizations. But I also sense he doesn't care much for some things about ADF, which is too bad. I am a member of ADF and probably will join AODA at some point, because I see some value in both approaches. I hope there's not true bad blood between the leaders.

In any case, we parted on warmly good terms with mutual invitations for future visits, and I am quite sure we'll see him again. I look forward to that.

2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Thanks so much for arranging for JMG to speak at your church. He proved every bit as engaging from the podium as he is in his weekly forum. It was also good of you to announce the engagement in comment on the ADR as I would otherwise never have known that the Archdruid would be in the neighborhood, or perhaps ever had the opportunity to acquire a signed copy of The Long Descent. Might what I was at first inclined to consider fortune instead be magic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying so. I hope we'll be able to have him back sometime. Congratulations on winning the book too ... I was gratified that two of his publishers supplied us with copies.

    I was very impressed with him as a speaker (already knew he was great thinker and writer), and was pleased to host him.

    ReplyDelete