Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One Day Late

Our first oaths were delayed by a day because we weren't prepared on the 12th. But on the 13th, we began our evening with a meal and tarot reading in honor of the full moon. Then, around midnight, we went outside and set up a makeshift altar on a card table and held a brief ritual. This was more elaborate than ADF requires for the first oaths, but we'd already decided to hold a small rite for each full moon, and the timing worked out well for combining the two.

We each read our oaths, and then we offered milk and honey to the gods and land spirits. Then we shared mead and a pear in honor of the harvest moon.

The text of my oath:

I, Michael, pledge to devote myself to the study of Druidry, to the keeping of its ways and to devotion to the Powers. With this holy oath, I set my foot upon the path and vow to pursue virtue,piety and study.

I vow to seek virtue in my life, to do right by my family, my friends and my community.

I vow to honor the ancestors, land spirits and elder gods, and to listen for them to speak to me.

I vow to pursue knowledge and understanding, through reading, study and interaction with those further along the road.

These things I swear to the gods, with my partner Lynda as my witness. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment